Adapted from Joy of Cooking Classic Meat Loaf
Preheat oven to 350ºF, lightly grease 9" x 5" (8 cup) loaf pan (1 – 1 1/4 hours) OR 12-cup muffin tin (25-30 minutes)
Combine in large bowl:
- 24 ounces ground beef (I usually use lean (93/7) or very lean (94/6 ground beef)
- 1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix (calls for chopped onions, but I don't like the chunks)
- 1 cup oatmeal pulverized in a food processor OR 1 cup breadcrumbs (I usually only have NON-quick-cooking oatmeal, so if I don't pulverize it, it doesn't cook down quite enough).
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 4 Tablespoons dry parsley flakes (or 2/3 cup fresh)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
(You can make Italian Meatloaf by adding 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/2 cup grated parmeson, 3 Tablespoons finely chopped garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano)
Smoosh around in the bowl with your hands until everything is mixed up.
Put mixture in loaf pan or muffin tin (another benefit is that you get individual serving meatloaf muffins).
Put pan or muffin tin on baking sheet.
Bake until meat is firm, internal temp 160ºF.