Delicious Lemonade Dessert Salad a la Karen P.
- 1 can frozen lemonade
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin (knox)
- 1 large pkg vanilla pudding (not instant)
- 1 c slivered almonds (optional)
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- 1/2 c maraschino cherries (cut in half)
- 2 cans mandarin oranges *** (minimum – you can add more)
- 1 can crushed pineapple (large can – 20 oz.?)
- 1 c whip cream (cool whip) (optional) *
- Prepare lemonade as directed on can.
- Mix 1/2 cup of lemonade with the 2 packets of gelatin and let stand for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, start making pudding according to the directions, using the LEMONADE in place of the milk. Use 1/2 cup LESS than called for (since we already are using 1/2 cup for dissolving the gelatin). After the 5 minutes in step 2, add the dissolved gelatin/lemonade to the pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until pudding boils (per directions)
- Fold in cool whip (if using — or yogurt, or whatevs), almonds (if using), marshmallows, cherries, mandarins, and pineapple. ***
- Chill for a few hours or overnight. (Overnight is better … Sometimes I think it’s not going to set up, but it always does… )
* I have found that adding the cool whip/whip cream makes the salad a little TOO creamy. I have not tried it without it yet, but will next time and adjust if necessary.
MORE RECENT EDIT: The last couple times I’ve made this I’ve substituted yogurt – plain or vanilla, regular or Greek (greek adds some protein!) — I like it because it subtracts that sorta fake-y creamy cool-whip for an ingredient that’s actually more healthy… This recipe has tended to be very adaptable without losing the goodness … Lots of substitutions work.
** The kids don’t like slivered almonds, but I always have some to add on top because I like them :).
*** The marshmallows & fruit can all be adjusted higher or lower according to your taste… Add less fruit for a more jello-y salad, more fruit for a more fruity salad.